Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Where should I draw my line?

Current events have gotten me thinking.  Recently, I wrote a post about the Hobby Lobby case in the Supreme Court.  I don’t usually write a political-type piece, but there were some particulars about it that bugged me.  It sparked a respectful and thought-provoking Facebook exchange with a friend and I’ve been thinking about the case since then.  My overall opinion on the decision is constant, but I am reconsidering a few things.  There is something to learn about here.

The Greens (owners of Hobby Lobby) drew a line they wouldn’t cross based on their beliefs and stuck to it in the face of opposition.  They believe that life begins at conception, so they would not pay for contraceptives that prevent implantation of a fertilized egg.  They do not oppose contraceptives that prevent fertilization.  Some contraceptives are OK, but certain ones are not.  It is interesting to me that they drew a line and stood by it, whether I agree with their beliefs or not.

I grew up in a community with many Amish people.  My family there attends a Mennonite church.  Recently, when visiting with my mom, her Sunday School class had an interesting digression.  We were discussing rituals and rules and some of the ex-Amish members began to reminisce.  They told a story about a man who lived Amish all his life, but followed some of his own rules.  When he died, they wouldn't bury him in the Amish cemetery; his grave lay right outside the fence.  His transgression?  Using rubber pneumatic tires on his tractor.  See, the Amish in that particular community can use a tractor for their farming business, but not for transportation.  However, they cannot have rubber, pneumatic tires on the tractor.  According to the conversation, they can have wooden or solid tires covered with rubber; they can even fill their tires with foam that becomes nearly solid, but they cannot fill rubber tires with air.  Rubber is OK, but rubber filled with air will send you to the devil.   They drew a line somewhere, to stand against worldly convenience, and this guy was ostracized for the air in his tires.

Silly?  It sounds a little silly, right?  Then I ask myself, what lines do I draw?  Is there something that I will do or will not do, simply based on my beliefs?  I don’t mean the big no-no type things, like stealing or killing, but the more ordinary things, the things that most of society accepts.  I can be outraged or poke fun at those who draw lines, but maybe they are braver and more principled than me, with my easy-going attitude towards life?  I have a strong faith, a strong belief in the universal, catholic salvation of the world through the grace of God.  So, maybe I don’t care about IUDs or morning-after pills or air in tractor tires, because I don’t believe any of them are going to land anyone in hell.  Or, maybe I’m just too convenient?

To be honest, I don’t do very well with giving things up.  I failed abstaining from sweets for Lent before I was one week into it.  I avoided meat on Fridays for the first few weeks, until a double cheeseburger craving did me in.  I don’t have beliefs that limit what I drive, what I put into my body, how I have or prevent having children.  No lines in the sand.  How convenient.

So, then what about things I will always do based on my faith?  Do I always give money to the poor?  Well, sometimes an outgoing panhandler scares me and I ignore him--call it self-preservation or something.  Later, I feel guilty about it and almost follow him to hand them $20, but I don’t because I’m still a little scared.  I do always go to church, except if I’m out of town (which is rare because I have little children.)  Giving regularly to my church is a habit,  but I make my own giving goals myself, so I know I can afford it.  It’s difficult for me to I pray before I eat, because mealtimes are crazy and I forget.  I don’t always help at the local food pantry, because my work schedule interferes.  You could say that I always treat others with love and respect, except when I am short-tempered and impatient.  Come to think of it, my life is pretty damn worldly and comfortable, even with volunteering for the church rummage sale, serving on the vestry, and running vacation bible school.  It’s all within my capabilities and time constraints.  If the circumstances of my life change, my commitments may change as well.  There is no line in the sand here.

Is drawing lines the province of conservatives?  Are the only people who need to abstain and avoid the ones who fear a vengeful God?  Standing up for one’s convictions cannot be limited to a certain type of theology.  So, I have to sincerely ask, for a middle of the road, progressive, liberal Christian, with a full-time career and a full-time family, what should I always do, or never do, because of my faith?  Where should I draw my line?

No comments:

Post a Comment