Thursday, July 24, 2014

For my youngest, on her 2nd birthday

For my youngest, as you begin your second year…

You came into the world on the wings of a storm, and you haven’t slowed down since.  In the first thunderstorm of the hottest, driest summer I can remember, you made your entry.  You dad could barely see through the sideways rain as we drove to the hospital, and the doctor barely made it to the room before you made your entrance.  Forty-five minutes from check-in to birth.  The nurse slapped me a high-five and said, “That’s the way to have a BABY!”  I had nothing to do with it, darling; it was all you, arriving in your own way.
You embrace life with gusto, going full-speed ahead.  When you fall (often), you say, “I’m OK.”  I worried that you wouldn’t learn to walk on time and the next thing I knew, you ran everywhere.  We can hear you coming down the hall, on your little fat feet.  Your daddy says you’ve got your mother’s lightness of step, which means we both stomp like elephants.  You love to dance though, so you might have a chance to learn some grace.  
You express yourself unmistakably.  I worried that you weren’t talking, and even called in my friend, who’s a speech pathologist.  The next week, you said, “I want that!” and “I do it!”  It was only a matter of days until you were yelling, “I want the IPAD!”  From one who didn’t talk, to one who won’t be quiet, you have found your voice.  Your newest word is “Why!”, usually shrieked in dismay when I refuse your request for a lollipop.  In the throes of anger, all it takes is 30 seconds in the “time-out space”,  and you return smiling, saying, “All done!”  You know how to make your desires known, little one.
           I hope your sturdy little legs carry you far in life.  I hope your smile continues to light up a room.  I hope you giggle and giggle until you can’t breathe every day.  I hope your indomitable spirit, that leads you to climb up the stairs or try to ride the dog, helps you overcome challenges that life brings.  I hope your helpful nature, the way you pick up your toys or try to vacuum the floor, serves the rest of the world.  I hope your enthusiasm remains undamped and you relish your life, the way you relish ice cream cone coating your adorable face. I hope you know the love of the creator in the love of your family and friends.  I hope you keep hugging with all your might, leaning in and snuggling, just like you do now, for all your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment