Wednesday, July 23, 2014

My yoke is easy

Sometimes it’s a little hard for me to believe Jesus.  Not believe “in Jesus”, but to believe what he says.  For instance, every night (almost every night) I pray Compline before I go to bed, from the Book of Common Prayer.  One of the readings in this lovely litany is Matthew 11:28-30.  “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”  I have loved this scripture passage since I was a child.  But, sometimes, I have trouble believing it.  When I’m worn out from family, work, and church projects, I want to say to Jesus, “Really, dude?  When do I get all this rest and light burdens?”

Something happened since I committed to living a Christian life--I began to work harder.  I say “Yes” to projects much more often, I see need in the community and I wonder how to help, I have ideas and I get excited to organize events for my church and my community.  Since deciding to follow Christ, I have more work, not more rest. In the midst of satisfaction and challenge, I’m tired.  When I read the gospel of Matthew, I want to say, “Come on, dude!”

Once again, as I wish for rest at the end of a hectic day and I doubt Christ’s promise of an easy yoke, I am probably missing the point.  Consider those who work hard for others, for their community, for their church.  The folks serving at the food pantry, the charity resale shop, teaching Sunday School, organizing a church rummage sale, and campaigning for social justice, probably don’t think their burden is light.  They keep working, in spite of fatigue and frustration.  Are they waiting for a lighter yoke?  Somehow, I don’t think they so.  All those verses in the gospels about taking up the cross and giving up your life make it clear that the Christian life is no Easy Street.  So, what did Jesus mean by an easy yoke, if his followers would work so damn hard?

Maybe he meant that I would get a chance to rest, not from hard work, but from self-deprecation, from self-hatred, from not being good enough.  The work we do as Christians isn’t competitive work, driven by ambition.  It is collaborative work, driven by the desire to help, to build a community, to support others.  In the midst of an overwhelming project, I can turn to prayer for aid, or ask a friend to lend a hand.  If my best efforts meet with failure; no one criticizes, rather someone helps me up again.  Jesus’s promise reminds me of a favorite phrase of a great horse trainer I know:  “Ask for much, be happy with little, and reward often.”  The yoke of Jesus Christ comes with high expectations, but there is understanding if we fall short, and the rewards are immeasurable, right here in our daily lives.  Jesus knows what it’s like to be a fallible human being and he forgives us our mistakes.  We can lay our burdens at his feet and rest, until we can pick them up and go on with the challenging, fulfilling, grace-filled work of the kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment