Friday, January 31, 2014

Authentic Worship--is it true?

Recently, I’ve heard a few conversations about authentic worship in church.  Is worship something we should market as entertainment?  Is traditional worship stale, old-fashioned, and out of touch with the modern world?  Should churches overhaul their liturgy to be more user-friendly?  Would that still be authentic to our cherished tradition?  Which makes me wonder: what does authentic mean, and what is authentic worship?
au·then·tic
adjective \ə-ˈthen-tik, ȯ-\
: real or genuine : not copied or false
: true and accurate
: made to be or look just like an original
:  true to one's own personality, spirit, or character

In the post-modern 21st century (are we still post-modern, or is it some new word--post-post modern or something) what does this mean?  When a person’s facebook and twitter profile are more important than their actual physical being, what does it mean to be  real or genuine?  When we can duplicate photos, paintings and 3-d sculptures through high-tech printers, what is “not copied”?  When the news media does not bother to check facts and reporters blatantly admit to bias, what is “true or accurate”?  When every new popular movement teaches us to find the “secret”, to “find yourself”, and to “Eat, Pray, Love”, what does it mean to be true to one’s own character?

If I wanted some entertainment on a Sunday morning, that was “true to myself”, I would book one hell of a worship service.  Let’s see, I would have Orlando Bloom as an acolyte, and James Spader to give the homily.  I would have Jackson Browne as the organist and the Indigo Girls singing in the choir.  The host would be dipped in chocolate and the blood of Christ would be cabernet, and let me tell you, the helping would be generous!  Wouldn’t that be an awesome way to spend a Sunday morning?  Why isn’t that authentic?  It’s all about me and making me happy.

Maybe that is the point.  The “authentic” here is not pointed at my own wishes, wants and desires, but pointed to God.  My fantasy church would be pretty cool and God might like it too.  I mean, God might want James Spader to do some preaching, and who doesn’t like to look at Orlando Bloom or listen to the Indigo Girls?  It sure would make people feel good. It’s great when church feels good.  It picks me up and fortifies me for the busy week ahead.  I love it when things feel good--but feeling good is not the point of worship, it is the side effect of coming closer to God.

If authentic worship and authentic living are not merely being true to my own desires, what are they?  Well, if you believe that we are created by God out of love, meant to exist in that love, and that we long to return to that love, then authenticity is when the love of God is reflected in our thoughts, words and actions.  Authenticity is when we are true to our author, if you believe that our author is God.  When we act, speak and think authentically, in love, then we feel good because we come closer to God.  

Here is what I need to bring myself closer to God.  Here is what is authentic worship to me:  a clear, ecstatic message of the catholic, universal saving grace and love of God, all wrapped up in the most mystical, miraculous package I can find, tied up with music, incense and beauty, with a healthy dose of intellectual stimulation and a challenge to greater service, ending up in personal compassion and spiritual connection with my neighbors and friends in Christ.  It is a church experience that makes me a little uncomfortable in my comfort, a little more willing to serve in Christ’s service, a little more generous in God’s generosity, a little more forgiving in God’s forgiveness, a little more loving in the love of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment